Thursday 17 March 2011

Another mini adventure


Yesterday was a cold and initially foggy day but the sun soon made an appearance so my mum and I took another long walk, this time on the other side of the river in Castlerock. We walked through the Black Glen towards Bishop's Palace, the C18th estate of Frederick Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and bishop of Derry. I've been to the Mussenden Temple on the cliff edge countless times so instead we walked out to the mausoleum.

Above is the view back from Castlerock to the mouth of the river, beaches and Portstewart is barely visible through the haze. Below is an ancient burial cairn which I never knew existed until today, Bishop's Palace visible in the background.



Mussenden Temple, the North Atlantic and one of the most scenic train lines ever.


My mum approaching 'Belvedere' folly. Methinks I have found a spot to camp for the summer solstice this year!

One of my school friends grew up in this house which forms part of the demesne, (complete with walled gardens, dove cote and ice house), so many summer days and parties were spent roaming these fields and ruins.


Bishop's palace and the Mausoleum.

No comments:

Post a Comment