Sunday 13 March 2011

The Waterworks


I went for a walk today, though only two streets away to the 'Waterworks'. It's a park more for walking in than lying around in (our two attempts at picnics there were beseiged by crazy yokels), but it's really nice to have a place with an actual lake you can fish in (though I wouldn't advise eating anything that came out of it) and so many cool birds so close by.


One of the famous yellow Harland and Wolff ship building cranes, named Samson and Goliath. This is the lower pond of the Waterworks which used to be the reservoir for all of Belfast's Water.


The upper lake of the Waterworks. In the backgound is Cave hill, although my Granny still calls it by its true name - 'Beann Madagain'. The profile of the rocks are said to have inspired Swift's sleeping giant in Gulliver's travels.


         A contortionist swan. I saw another swan recently that had a tennis ball wedged under its wing.

Swans, geese, seagulls, ducks, pigeons and various other birds I can't identify hang arounnd this park all year round. As do dog walkers, young lovers, nuns, 14 year olds drinking WKD on a friday Night, joggers, families and everyone else in between.

p.s. I just realised that this is my 100th post - time flies when you're having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment